Roland Boutique Series D-50 Synthesizer
Roland D-05 Overview
The Roland Boutique D-05 Linear Synthesizer Module continues the legacy of the D-50, an instrument that was highly popular in the late '80s and early '90s. The timeless sounds of the D-50 can be heard on countless albums spanning multiple genres such as pop, house, R&B, and drum 'n bass, as well as in sound design for film and television. The D-50 features the linear arithmetic sound engine, where sounds are constructed using 32 partials, which are organized into tones (two partials per tone), and then patches (up to two tones per patch). LA Synthesis also uses structures, which determine whether the various partials are playing PCM sounds or synthesizer waveforms. Basic sound shaping is inspired by familiar analog subtractive synthesizer parameters, with elements such as Time Variant Amplifier (TVA), Time Variant Filter (TVF with resonance), LFO, pitch envelope, and more. It was highly programmable, especially when used with the optional PG-1000 controller that added one-to-one controls for instant sonic sculpting.
The 16-voice D-05 utilizes digital circuit behavior (DCB) to recreate the original sound of the D-50, combined with the exact PCM attack and loop samples as the original D-50, precisely recreating every tonal nuance in detail. Programming is authentic as well, with the inclusion of the direct access controls and the all-important joystick, which allows for smooth morphing between the upper and lower tones. The instrument has some updated features, such as the 64-step polyphonic sequencer and arpeggiator. Sequences and tempo data are stored within a patch and can easily be recalled. The D-05 features 1/8" stereo inputs and outputs, as well as full sized 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors (In/Out). The unit offers USB MIDI/audio and can be powered via USB or by the included four "AA" batteries.
- Precision sonic recreation of the D-50 from the makers of the original
- Digital Circuit Behavior (DCB) faithfully captures every detail
- Authentic user interface including joystick control
- All the original presets plus fresh new sounds
- Compatible with original D-50 patches
- 64-step, polyphonic onboard sequencer and arpeggiator
- Rugged construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music-making
- Battery operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories