M-Audio BX5 D3 5" 2-Way 100W Powered Studio Monitor (Single)
M-Audio BX5 D3 Overview
The BX5 D3 from M-Audio is a 2-way, 100W powered studio monitor designed to offer a wide frequency response and easy configuration for mixers, DJs, producers, and recordists in small control rooms, personal studios, and mobile rigs. The monitor produces a frequency response of 52 Hz to 35 kHz, thanks to two Class A/B amplifiers feeding a 5” Kevlar woofer and 1” silk dome tweeter.
A rear-mounted bass port delivers extended bass response, while the tweeter’s custom waveguide yields a wide sweet spot and minimized high-frequency scatter. Volume and low-frequency controls are provided so you can tune the monitor to cooperate with the sound of the room. Place the monitor on the supplied acoustic foam pad to decouple it from your table or stands, which aids in reducing unwanted bass vibrations.
The BX5 D3 can interface with a variety of equipment, via balanced XLR and balanced/unbalanced 1/4” TRS input jacks. Setup is simple, due to the front-mounted LED, which appears brighter when you are at the ideal angle.
- A magnetically-shielded 5" military-grade Kevlar woofer provides durability and detailed transient response whilst negating unwanted "cone breakup." It has a high-temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround. The magnetically-shielded 1" silk dome tweeter delivers high frequencies up to 35 kHz with minimal resonance.
- The rear-mounted bass port yields extended bass response while reducing audible air turbulence that can occur at high sound pressure levels. The tweeter sits in a custom waveguide designed to lessen scatter and yield a wide sweet spot. The process of aligning the monitor's position is simplified, due to the front-mounted LED, which shines brightly when you're located at the ideal angle.
- The BX5 D3 has two Class A/B amplifiers, a 60W low-frequency amp and a 40W high-frequency amp. A crossover at 2.5 kHz ensures that the correct frequencies are fed to each driver.
- In addition to adjustable volume, there is a low-frequency "Acoustic Space" control. Based upon the sound of your room, you may wish to tweak the bass response to achieve a certain frequency balance.
- The BX5 D3 can accept a balanced line-level input at its XLR 3-pin connector. Route balanced or unbalanced signals into the monitor via the 1/4" TRS jack.